Traveling doesn’t mean that you have to lose sight of your fitness goals.
I’ve run in a lot of really cool places, the beaches of Puerto Rico, the streets of London, wooded trails in North Carolina and many more. I’ve hiked and walked in some great places, too. As a matter of fact, when I travel – my workouts are always pretty interesting. Traveling does bring some challenges because it also forces you to make changes to your normal routine but those changes can actually be really great for your fitness goals. Why? Because it reminds you that fitness can be fun!
Fitness on the go doesn’t have to be stressful or as carefully planned during our every day lives. Plan your work outs into your vacation so that you can really SEE the place you’re in. It can be as easy at putting on your sneakers and exploring or it can take a bit of planning; here are some of ways to fit workouts into your vacation and make them fun:
- Check a map before you go. Know where you’re going to be so that you can plan your walks or workouts ahead. It will also help you plan your day, knowing how long your walk/run will be.
- Check your location for studios – I love hopping into a local yoga class while I’m away
- Ask the concierge. There’s always a fitness-buff on staff, they’ll point you in his/her direction
- Check out the hotel gym, come up with a creative circuit of exercises that are certain to make you sweat. Do it twice.
- If you’re somewhere warm – SWIM. Need I say more?
- Take advantage the landscape around you. Run hills, hike in the woods, walk on the beach. Enjoy your surroundings with the person/people you’ve traveled with!
Nutrition might be a little bit trickier, you’re not always preparing your own food and vacation is generally a time to indulge! I’m not discouraging eating out or having a few drinks, but try not to binge every meal! Here are some tips to eating while traveling:
-Research restaurants and grocery stores
-Use apps like “Healthy Out” to find healthy options
-Find a hotel room with a kitchenette to make simple meals
-Pack snacks like dried fruit, nuts, protein powder and homemade bars
-Pack supplements like vitamins and fish oil
-Pack work out clothes!
Drink Plenty of Water:
-This will help keep you full and curb your appetite